self - advocacy
WHAT IS SELF-ADVOCACY?
- Speaking up for yourself to get your needs and wants met
- Making your own decisions about what you want in your life
- Learning to carry out your own plans
“People using their self-advocacy skills to get what they need, want and love is very empowering!”
Speaking For Ourselves (S.F.O.) and Self-Advocates Becoming Empowered (S.A.B.E.)
Speaking For Ourselves (SFO) in Adams County is a community of people living with disabilities that share the common interest of living self-determined lives in communities that are welcoming and accepting. We discuss civil rights topics such as accessible communities and voting and supporting each other in learning how to be empowered and communicate needs with others.
SFO is member directed. With feedback from its members, the group is currently meeting the 3rd Friday of the month from 11-1. We enjoy connecting with each other in person but, until it is safe, we are meeting remotely via Zoom.
We are a local chapter of SFO in Colorado. This statewide group encourages people living with disabilities to become leaders and advocates in their lives.
We work closely with Self-Advocates Becoming Empowered or SABE, which is a national group of self-advocates with whom SFO is affiliated. SABE is dedicated to ensuring people with disabilities have equal treatment and equal rights as other members of the community, it empowers people to speak up for themselves, to make choices, and to learn from mistakes.
If interested, please contact Joshua Wann, Advocate with The Arc of Adams County, for more information on how to join a group discussion.
Interested in learning to be a self-advocate?
- Start by exploring what you need and want out of life
- Explore ways to communicate your needs and wants with others who support you (Link communication HH)
- Set small goals along the path to your bigger dreams
- Evaluate progress toward the goal
- Consider joining a self-advocacy group
- Or take our Self-Advocacy class!
Self-determination means making things happen in your own life.
People who are self-determined decide what they want, set goals and work to reach them, and ask for help when they need it. They:
- Advocate for themselves
- Are involved in solving problems and making decisions about their lives
- Don’t have to do everything for themselves, but instead, ask for help in order to make things they want happen in their lives
- Communicate the decisions and choices they make